Literariness as a Linguistic Figure

:speech_balloon: Speaker: Matthias Springer @MSpringer

:classical_building: Affiliation: Ludwig-Maximlians-University Munich

Title: Literariness as a Linguistic Figure

Abstract (long version below): Literariness is primarily based on deliberately shaped language, thereby transforming a narration will become a literary narration. In my experiment an originally literary narrated episode is passed on by retelling it in three times. The hypothesis is that the narrative content within the episode is preserved in these retellings, while the literary content as a measure of literariness, for which language is largely responsible, is lost.

:newspaper: Long abstract

My contribution is based on the thesis that literariness is primarily created by deliberately moulding und shaping language, thereby transforming a narration will become a literary narration. To investigate this, an experiment is conducted in which originally literary narrated episode is passed on by retelling it in three times. The hypothesis is that the narrative content within the episode is preserved, if not sharpened, in these retellings, while the literary content as a measure of literariness, for which language is largely responsible in SkolvskijĀ“s and JakobsonĀ“s sense, is lost. This can be observed in the constructions used in the retellings, which come ever closer to usage-based language. Literariness is measured by the content of literary information in the original narration and its retellings on the basis of the likelihood that these constructions have in usage-based language.
Finally, this study can make further contribution to the validity of language-based theories of literariness and help to distinguish them from AI generated art.

Interesting experiment Matthias. It reminds me of a book entitledā€¦ Remembering by Bartlett. One of his methods was similar to yours: retelling stories. What he found was that strange/unfamiliar elements were ā€œneutralizedā€ in the retelling, made more ā€œnormalā€. Would the same hold for stylistic deviations?

One might also expect that because of the strangeness/strikingness such elements might be remembered better. Curious what you think and what you believe the implications are of your study for our field, for foregrounding theories in particular. See you soon!