Psychopoetics. Literary Studies on a New Footing

:speech_balloon: Willie van Peer

:classical_building: University of Munich

Title: Psychopoetics. Literary Studies on a New Footing

Abstract (long version below): Traditional poetics attempts to elucidate how linguistic features of literary texts create certain effects in the reader. While this has led, through the ages, to an impressive arsenal of descriptive labels identifying phonetic, grammatical or semantic devices, relatively little has been done in terms of the psychological reality of the effects presumed. In this paper, we will demonstrate how emotional content of poetic texts may call forward emotional reactions opposite to what one may expect. We argue that a systematic investigation of the categories in traditional poetics should be undertaken: we propose to call this type of investigation PSYCHOPOETICS, the combination of poetics and psychology in the elucidation of literary functions.

:movie_camera:

:newspaper: Long abstract

Traditional poetics attempts to elucidate how linguistic features of literary texts create certain effects in the reader. While this has led, through the ages, to an impressive arsenal of descriptive labels identifying phonetic, grammatical or semantic devices, relatively little has been done in terms of the psychological reality of the effects presumed. In this paper, we will demonstrate how emotional content of poetic texts may call forward emotional reactions opposite to what one may expect. We argue that a systematic investigation of the categories in traditional poetics should be undertaken: we propose to call this type of investigation PSYCHOPOETICS, the combination of poetics and psychology in the elucidation of literary functions.
We will present the results of a reading plus listening experiment, with and without understanding of the text, differentiating between the emotional content of the text, the emotions of the singer, and the emotions of the listener, demonstrating how these differ from one another, calling for a deeper psychological investigation of what poetic effects are and how they emerge.

So one thought I have here about the results deals with the scholarship on sound iconicity - the idea that sounds themselves have emotional correlates. Willie, if I am not mistaken have done some early work in this direction. While there are disagreements primarily between the Auracher, Menninghaus…Kraxenberger etc orientation and the Tsur and Gafni approach, broadly the idea still stands that it is likely that sounds themselves, particulary in performance do have emotional meanings. With the text itself, this would add a level of hot cognition to the response - additional information that can be used to understand the text. So actually the finding you have understanding the lyrics didn’t add much to the emotional understanding of the pome doesn’t surprise me that much - basically sound-emotion relations are present with or without the semantic. This is just a thought on your data. I enjoyed the presentation. I am happy to elaborate if you want at the session or outside. Cheers David Hanauer