Narrative Persuasion Through Transportation into Songs and Affective Responses

:speech_balloon: Speaker: Ayelet Har-Even

:classical_building: Affiliation: University of Haifa
Title: Narrative Persuasion Through Transportation into Songs and Affective Responses.

Abstract (long version below): Research demonstrates the persuasive effects of narratives. When people are transported into a narrative, it encourages them to align their attitudes with the narrative. Most of the studies use written narratives or movies. The current research demonstrates the persuasive effect of transportation into songs. The songs that we analyzed are commonly heard on Holocaust Memorial Day in Israel and tell the story of the Jewish people who suffered during World War II. We examined by online experiment how transportation into these songs changed nationalistic and universal attitudes among people of various political orientations. In addition, which emotions the transportation arouses.

:movie_camera:

:newspaper: Long abstract

A large body of research demonstrates the persuasive effects of narratives (e.g., Green & Brock, 2000). When people are transported or immersed in a narrative, it encourages them to align their attitudes with the narrative (Moyer-Guse, 2008). Studies showed how people change their attitudes following exposure to written narratives or movies. The current research demonstrates the persuasive effect of transportation into songs.

There are certain characteristics that make songs unique as a medium. For instance, songs are short, include a melody, and are often ambiguous. Moreover, people are repeatedly exposed to songs, potentially making them more persuasive. Repeated exposure characterizes songs related to commemorating historical events, such as Memorial Days.

The songs that we analyzed are commonly heard on Holocaust Memorial Day in Israel and tell the story of the Jewish people who suffered during World War II. These songs can stimulate nationalistic attitudes such as the importance of Israel as a shelter for the Jewish people, or universal attitudes such as preventing other people from suffering as the Jewish people had. We examined how transportation into these songs changed nationalistic and universal attitudes among people of various political orientations (Van Lange, Bekkers, Chirumbolo & Leone; 2011). In addition, we examined which emotions the transportation arouses since emotions could lead to persuasion (e.g., Mazzocco, Green, Sasota & Jones, 2010; Salmela & Scheve, 2017).

Method and Procedure
We conducted an online experiment (N =685). The participants were first asked to report on their mood and political attitudes. Then, they were randomly assigned to one of five experimental conditions, including hearing and reading the songs. The participants were then asked to answer a questionnaire that contained items measuring transportation, the emotions aroused by the song, and nationalist and universal attitudes.

Findings
We first examined how the political attitudes of the listeners influenced their emotional responses to the songs and whether they resulted in a change in their nationalist and universal attitudes. We found that political attitudes predicted feelings of anger in response to the songs such that right-wing participants felt more anger than left-wing participants (b = -0.22, SE = 0.12, p = .06). The response of anger also predicted nationalist attitudes (b = 0.14, SE = 0.05, p = .003).
Moreover, initial political attitudes indirectly led to nationalist attitudes through the mediation of the response of anger to the song (b = -0.03, SE = 0.02, p < .05, CI 95% [-0.08, -0.003]).
Compassion did not mediate the effect of initial political attitudes on nationalist attitudes p > .1.
Likewise, political attitudes predicted feelings of compassion in response to the songs such that left-wing participants felt more compassion than right-wing participants (b = 0.21, SE = 0.11, p = .06). In addition, the response of compassion predicted universal attitudes (b = 0.21, SE = 0.05, p < .0001). Moreover, initial political attitudes indirectly led to universal attitudes through the mediation of the response of compassion to the songs (b = 0.05, SE = 0.03, p < .05, CI 95% [0.006, 0.111]). Anger did not mediate the effect of initial political attitudes on universal attitudes p > .1
Then we examined the effect of transportation in the various political orientations. We found a significant indirect effect in the two extreme groups. In the extreme right-wing group, transportation significantly predicted nationalist attitudes through the mediation of the response of anger, (b = 0.03, SE = 0.02, p < .05, CI 95% [0.005, 0.086]). In the extreme left-wing group, transportation significantly predicted universal attitudes through the mediation of the response of compassion (b = 0.07 SE = 0.04, p < .05, CI 95% [0.004, 0.180]).
In the two moderate political groups, transportation enhanced the attitude that is less characteristic of their orientation: universal attitudes for the right-wing group (b = 0.21, SE = 0.08, p = .01, CI 95% [0.05, 0.379]) and nationalist attitudes for the left-wing group (b = 0.323, SE = 0.11, p = .004, CI 95% [0.104, 0.541]). Both of these effects were direct and were not mediated by the emotional responses. Moreover, hearing the songs, compared with reading the songs, indirectly led to national attitudes among left-wing people and universal attitudes among right-wing people, through the mediation of transportation.

Conclusions
left-wing people tended to react to the Holocaust songs with compassion, while right-wing people tended to respond with anger. Compassion, in turn, enhanced universal attitudes, while anger enhanced nationalist attitudes.
Transportation into the songs enhanced concordant attitudes for people who held extreme political attitudes. It enhanced nationalist attitudes for right-wing people through the mediation of anger, while it enhanced universal attitudes for left-wing people through the mediation of compassion. Most importantly, transportation into the songs resulted in more acceptance of discordant attitudes for those who expressed moderate political attitudes.

Hello Ayelet,

I found your talk very thought provoking and thought I would share with you my thoughts. I did wonder about some of the definitions underpinning the study design. Left and right wing positions are relative to the country/political discourse of a particular local. Israeli left wing may have aspects of what you call universalism - but these might be situated within a nationalist outlook. Your results suggest that this is indeed the case. Thus the population is defined by different degrees of nationalism.

I wondered about the dichotmous response to the Holocaust. You posit anger and compassion. Are there are other responses beyond these that could come into play? Also could one be angry at the perpatrators (Nazis), compassionate about the victims and still compassionate about new cases of victimization? I think it is more varied than the dichotomy suggests.

I also wondered about the use of Holocaust songs in this setting. The Holocaust is a very emotive event especially in the context of Israel. I wonder how this clouds possible responses to your survey. I wonder if this context makes the study specific to this issue and not about the effect of songs - but the effect of THESE songs in this context.

Anyway those are my thoughts on this. As I said it raise a whole series of ideas for. I apologize that I cannot be in person at the Zoom session. But please feel free to reach out to me at the Gathering sessions.

Lehitraot David Hanauer

Nice research Ayelet, and very interesting! I loved it that you took this particular material, for various reasons, one of them being that the texts have ambiguous messages. Maybe you can tell something about that later, during the Q&A.

I was curious about how you used the transportation scale, since it is strongly related to narrative worlds. Did you adjust the times, and if so how?

Maybe you will find the dissertation (and other publications) of Thijs Vroegh on absorption in music of relevance. And maybe too the work of Yke Schotanus on foregrounding in songs.

I was wondering about some of your assumptions: on slide 9 it says you predict that left-wing participants will fel more compassion (rather than anger) and that this will lead to stronger nationalism rather than universalism. Did I understand that correctly? And in any event, what is the basis for your assumption about the relation between political orientation and nationalism/universalism. Just curious!

Hi David,
Thanks for sharing your meaningful thoughts.

• Regarding your comment about left and right-wing tendencies relative to a particular local’s country/political discourse. One of our research questions dealt with that. We found a correlation between the respondents’ initial political tendency and their support for the various attitudes so that the right-wing expressed more support for national attitudes than the left-wing, and the left-wing expressed more support for universal attitudes than the right-wing.

• The emotion scales weren’t dichotomous. The emotions scale included anger, revenge, existential fear, mercy, and the desire to help others. The answers were on a 1-5 scale. We conducted a factor analysis that revealed two factors. Then, we created an anger index and a compassion index. That way, if one is angry at the perpetrators and compassionate about the victims, they don’t need to choose.

• I definitely feel the same relating to the emotive holocaust event in Israel. It could be that the context makes the study specific to this issue. It will be a challenge for me to test this point in the future (:

• I’ll be glad to talk to you if you will be at the Gathering sessions today. There is one after the Poster Session and another one at the end of the day.

Thank you for the impressive insight!

Ayelet
Studio.ayelet@gmail.com

Hello Frank, thanks for your encouraging words and interesting thoughts.

• For your first thought, relating to ambiguous messages, the study indicates that people interpret the same ambiguous message subjectively , usually harmonising with the participant’s initial political orientation and that the same message triggers different feelings among them.
  • We used the Green and Brock scale for the transportation scale, and the materials (the songs) were narratives.
  • Thank you so much for Thijs Vroegh & Yke Schotanus. I definitely going to look in it.
  • About p.9. Yes! You understand it correctly. It is based on research demonstrating a correlation between political attitudes and specific emotional reactions, e.g., Crawford, 2000. And research shows a correlation between political tendency and different perspectives, e.g., Salmela & von Scheve, 2017.

Thank again,

Ayelet