Building a Better and Just World Through Fictional Narratives

:speech_balloon: Speaker: Meghan Sanders

:classical_building: Affiliation: Louisiana State University, USA

Title: Building a Better and Just World Through Fictional Narratives

Abstract Scholarship in media psychology has significantly expanded to investigate the role entertainment media and experiences play in encouraging audiences to think more deeply, feel inspired, encourage prosocialness, and otherwise serve in the interest of social good. Fictional narratives are a significant cultural force in that they can articulate identities and values of a culture, but also serve as sites where these same values and identities are discussed and challenged. They can sometimes do a better job than news in getting us to think about the most pressing and serious issues facing communities, nations, and broader society. In this keynote, Sanders will discuss various theoretical frameworks that could help advance our understanding of the psychological mechanisms related to the effects of narratives focused on social justice and those that encourage increased social consciousness.

**:movie_camera:**Meghan Sanders; Building a Better and Just World Through Fictional Narratives - YouTube

1 Like

Here is the psychological reactance measure that I referenced:

Dillard, J. P., & Shen, L. (2005). On the nature of reactance and its role in persuasive health communication. Communication Monographs, 72, 144-168.

How much do you agree with each of the following statements?
(1 = Strongly Disgree – 5 = Strongly Agree)

1. I felt like the general message in the video tried to make a decision for me.
  2. The video tried to manipulate me.
  3. The message in the video tried to pressure me.
  4. The message in the video threatened my freedom to choose what I think.
1 Like

The media being a tool to socially impact positively and negatively. I am intrigued on how we can measure the effect of having these new narratives about the villains perspective point of view in the viewer and whether we can measure their change in attitude?

Like the subjects of questioning good/evil on the actions of the antagonistic character, or the topic empathy and the level of antipathy or condemnation in retrospective to these stories.